Monday, April 4, 2011

Kimchi Jjigae

So my first shot at Kimchi Jjigae went splendidly. It was really fantastic, and had just the right amount of spice to it, without being too spicy or overwhelming. What is so interesting about this dish as well is that it's a very classic and common Korean recipe, but there was just SOMETHING about it that was very reminiscent to me of my gramma's kitchen. I haven't been able to put my finger on it quite yet, but some underlying flavor transported me back to when I was 5 years old, hanging in my grandmother's kitchen, eating goulash and buttered white bread.

I guess homey food just transcends culture.

Also, I again snagged the recipe from Beyond Kimchee, and then added some Korean radish and cabbage that were in my fridge. That lady over there is a genius! Thanks again for the delish recipe!


Here it is, boiling away on the stove in the one pot I had big enough to contain it.


And here she is in all her glory with some delicious white rice. Ahhh... I wish we wouldn't have gobbled it all up so quickly, I could go for some riiight now!

And with the extra white rice I had lying around after this feast, I made some bulgogi burger rice balls, which were super easy, with some day-old rice, sesame seeds, rice vinegar, and chopped bulgogi hamburger. Yummm!

White rice, sesame seeds, and bulgogi, how can you go wrong? What a delicious little dinner I made for myself tonight! And check out that hideous yellow wallpaper in the back. It really pulls the room together. Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment